Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Latest Adventure: Purgatory/Durango Colorado!

Through the days of July 8 to July 15, I went on my yearly summer retreat to a beautiful place somewhere in SW United States. My Father usually takes me on one when conditions in finances are correct. This year for the first half, we went to somewhere not directly in the South West; Colorado. This was my first time there and boy was I in awe! The first time I saw the blue skies with the snow capped, green mountains of the Rockies brought a distinct smirk. The trees and the grass and just the pure green was something totally different then the usual South West. I liked it, no, I LOVED it! We stayed in this ski resort known as "Purgatory"...a great name if I may say. The place was filled with things to do and had views to die for! Be careful though, you may actually die on some of the adventures they have there if you aren't careful ;) Really, just enjoy the area from either relaxing in your condo/room/whatever drinking a nice cup of coffee or either a cold beer to mountain biking on the trails that are located in the resting ski slopes in the summer time. More info on this location can be found on the "Locations" page.


 The resort is just past a very nice town known as Durango. It's about a 15 minute to 25 minute drive between each other. People who like small towns with lots of great restaurants will enjoy this place! There's an excellent main street with lots of amazing shopping. The plentiful restaurants that need to be researched to pick the best one even if all of them are good one way or another. The town is great and makes a great stop for things you need or want when staying where I stayed. Here is a map just to show where Durango Mountain Resort i.e. Purgatory is located (Red) compared to where Durango is located (Black):






 Other towns near (somewhat) include Silverton, Ouray, and a little further, Telluride. Visit them all and make some time for it's a beautiful yet long drive. Bring a 4X4 too, there are a lot of trails to go off roading that can show some secrets of the mountains like ghost towns or mines or even a short cut to Telluride. Careful on that drive though, it's a tough one! 


While at Purgatory, I went mountain biking and rode on the "Paul's Park Loop". It's a great long loop with lots to see and great views. It's somewhat hard because of the uphill and the altitude mixing with you. If you go, keep hydrated, have a snack, and don't be stupid; always be prepared. I for one, had an accident that broke my left clavicle. A hill surprised me and had an abundance of rocks, hit one and fell off hard. I was also in a hurry because we were being chased by a wicked storm! Wasn't even half way down and I had to ride back or I might have been killed by what could have been fatal lightning. Crazy ride, but certainly worth it!!! I haven't had that much exhilarating fun in a long time! I already told you what else I did, that was the scenic drive through those small towns. You'll enjoy it, trust me. The afternoons usually include drinking a cup of tea and watching storms roll in. This might be the first time I can say I'm glad the storms came to a get away for they were beautiful and just amazing! Everything about this trip was great and I completely recommend it. Check it out if you are in need of some fun, you'll thank me later ;) I'll post more detailed works on the mountain biking and drive later just in case you want to try!


Happy Adventures!
Alex "Vegas" Roberts 

No comments:

Post a Comment